Questions? Call us at (940) 382-9691
What is cargo van insurance?
Cargo vans present special considerations when selecting insurance, as their size, weight and cargo exceed what a smaller car would have. Cargo van insurance is usually what businesses in Texas need when insuring these vehicles.
Cargo van insurance provides customized protection for non-passenger vans. A policy may provide robust protection for vans, cargos, and the businesses that have these vehicles.
Get a Quote
What Texas businesses are required to purchase commercial van insurance?
Businesses in Texas normally need commercial van insurance if they operate vans on public roads. Coverage is generally required by state law. For businesses that lease or finance vans, additional coverages are often required by lenders.
Ultimately, there are many businesses that drive cargo vans and need cargo van policies. Some examples include:
- Equipment leasing companies
- Furniture stores
- Local couriers
- Last-mile deliverers
What vans are insured with cargo van policies?
Most non-passenger vans used by businesses can be insured with cargo van policies. This includes delivery vans, utility vans and others.
Passenger vans, however, normally shouldn’t be insured with a cargo van policy. Instead, a passenger van policy that has higher bodily injury protection limits is usually needed.
Are cargo van policies suitable for box trucks?
Box trucks tend to be a little larger and heavier than cargo vans. Because of this, cargo van policies usually aren’t the right choice for insuring box trucks. These policies might be suitable for box trucks in rare situations, but the norm is to use a box truck insurance policy.
What insurance coverages should businesses look for when insuring cargo vans?
Commercial van insurance policies can come with a range of coverages. Some important ones to consider when insuring cargo vans include:
- Comprehensive Coverage: Normally covers damage to a van occurring during incidents other than collisions with vehicles. For example, may cover falling trees, theft, animal strikes and fire.
- Collision Coverage: Normally covers damage to a van occurring during collisions with other vehicles.
- Bodily Injury Coverage: Normally covers physical injuries sustained by individuals involved in an accident.
- Medical Payments Coverage: Normally covers medical expenses that are a result of injuries sustained in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability Coverage: Normally covers the cost of damage caused to other vehicles vehicles and non-vehicle property in an accident.
- Gap Coverage: Normally covers the financial gap that’s between the van's current value and the remaining loan amount, if the van is financed and deemed a total loss. This generally isn’t needed if a van is owned outright.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage: Normally covers collisions with inadequately insured or entirely uninsured drivers, and also hit-and-run collisions.
Does commercial van insurance cover the things kept in a van?
It’s especially important to make sure the items kept in a van are covered against damage or loss. Cargo vans can carry equipment, inventory or goods that have a high total value. These vans sometimes get parked in areas with little activity and poor monitoring, not to mention the damage that an accident could cause.
Most commercial van policies provide coverage for items within a van. A cargo van policy is most often needed, however, as passenger vans might not have enough protection for the amount of cargo that’s kept in delivery and utility vans.
Can businesses cover multiple vans with a single commercial van policy?
Commercial van policies can cover one, several, or an entire fleet of vans. A knowledgeable insurance agent can help businesses find a policy that’ll protect however many vans they have.
If a business purchases or sells vans midway through a policy’s term, an insurance agent can also help adjust which vans are insured. Most policies allow vehicles to be added or removed without getting a new policy. Occasionally, however, a new policy may be required.
Get a free insurance quote
Get a Quote!
Give us a call, we'll help set you in the right direction.